Tuesday, April 28, 2009

On the hunt for seemingly all things WHITE... help


AUGHAUGHAUGH! Why did I go into that favorite thrift store of mine today?!? And I happened to have my camera with me too, so I caught what I spotted. Just to taunt me.



Once upon a time, I wanted to do something like this to my kitchen, so I propped a bunch of odds and sods I had on hand in place. Then I tried to move my massive hutch that really goes here into another room and it didn't fit. So I lost my office dream and dismantled the works.

Some of you may remember my quandary post about loving whites and coastal inspired themes as I live inside my very warm and pretty log cabiny woodsy upstairs. And I was wondering how I could incorporate some of that desired girlie white into my present scheme.



For some time now, I've been wanting to create a kitchen office. If I got rid of that mammoth woodsy hutch, (which holds dogfood and kitchen overflow, something I really can do without)I had imagined a desktop running the length of that hutch nook with something suitable holding up the works. I really desire a nice space for my laptop to get it off the island once and for all.

And what I saw today is so what I had in mind. Augh...


Aren't those cabinets cute?!? Full drawers and one door each, and the doors even both open towards the center. AUGH! BAD! This is soooo bad! (not really but it is for all the right reasons. I should leave well enough alone!)

The two little guys plus that goofy loose board on top was a whoppin' $20. (AUGH) The note on top of the works read, "Great for garage." Yeah right, like that'll happen. Next I'd need to scout out is something long enough to run the length of the hutch area for a topper. And I have this lovely tall white bookcase with a pretty curvy deal along the top, waiting down in my garage begging me to put that thing front and center on that tabletop. What an adorable office that would be! (AUGH)

Admit it! CUTE!

And here's another AUGH.


Look at the pretty lines on these table legs! Hello!?!?! Abit pricier at $69, but the thing was as sturdy as a ROCK. (AUGH) Honestly, if I had a big separate area for a kitchen office, this table would be the desk. It's just that cute. But it wouldn't look good next to my current table. Bleah..


I am in agony here. This table would sit in front of that little office thing. And look good together and everything. The table isn't that big, just a nice size. Not that we even use a table since I have a massively awesome kitchen island that seats on both sides. But you know, one should have a table so the room doesn't look odd and all that.


The top is currently tiled which is kinda cute. One tile was cracked. I know how to tile so I'd have no qualms retiling it. And that is a solid wood outer edge that needs abit of help. But what a nice way to bring warmth to the table while tieing in all the other woodsy factors in the kitchen!

My current kitchen chairs are bowback black. But I could paint just the seats that antique white to tie it in perhaps... eh.. who am I kidding. The chairs would have to go antique white probably. Nothing a spray bomb or 50 wouldn't cure. (this part is a bad AUGH)

Now, how to incorporate whites into my woodsy kitchen you ask? I'd love to find some tongue and groove thin slats of wood and attach them horizontally in the backsplash area. And you guessed it, paint it the same antique white.



Now, I had no intention of getting this, but it caught my eye and she was adorable! And there were two of her. And she was so comfortable! This chair just has to be a she. I can't say it. Gosh she was just so comfortable! (AUGH) See that lovely black metal detail in the back and on the legs? It's so cool! I sure wish I was decorating a diner styled kitchen and I'd have these snapped up in a jiffy! I need a barn for storage. NOW.

I have no budget for new stuff. I really don't. BUT... if I implemented the changes, I could sell my other stuff which would WAY MORE pay for these little itty bitty thrifty items. I'd only need like 8 guys to lug my massive hutch downstairs though. No biggie. (run man variety neighbours, RUN!)

Oh... another thing I spotted was this gigantic roll of sage green canvas style curtain material. It was sort of burlapy to the touch. Exquisite, but it wouldn't be what I would use. But if I just stocked it and had it ready for someone... stop it! I need to buy an acre and a barn first.

How do you just 'leave' these gems in the stores? How do YOU do it?!? I'm dyin' here... I so want to shabby this place up abit and because I'd have to work at it, I have to admit the challenge thrills me so...

As always, I'll sleep on it and stare at the pics tomorrow again. I'll know my answer by then. I think. And then feel guilty all over again for wanting this NOW.And what DO you do when you spot things you want like, real real bad and you know you just, well, shouldn't?

augh.

(feel free to offer your opinion or 3 on how to change over to more white with the least amount of $ and effort. The yard is calling me too you see..)

__________________

Rhoda at Southern Hospitality wants to know what recent finds you've discovered. Go see what others are loading their buggies with!

No comments:

Post a Comment