Monday, April 6, 2009

Accessorizing the Built-Ins...Finally!

Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special


As I wait for the sofas to arrive, they are being shipped next week, I have no more excuses to put off accessorizing the built-ins. I have been avoiding this task because there isn't, as far as I know, a set of guidelines to follow that will ensure success. However, I knew I wanted to use things I already owned and for the end result to be interesting yet simple, highlighting items with meaning for myself and my family. So, with these goals I got to work.

The plan was to 'shop' my house, going from room to room, collecting items that might work well on the shelves. Again, I didn't want to go out and buy things simply to fill up the built-ins. So off I went, gathering up everything that had potential and laid them out on the coffee table.

Next I cleared everything from the shelves to be able to start with a clean canvas. Then I started placing things here and there, seeing what looked good and what didn't and kept moving things around until I was happy with the result. (Took about an hour...seemed like a long time to spend placing things on a shelf only to take them off!) This approach (of shopping your home and selecting from your gathered finds) can be used to accessorize any surface...side and coffee tables, an entry console, a mantel or your dresser .



These built-ins have been mostly empty since they were completed, so seeing them filled feels a bit odd. But I like the result, and see I am being inspired by the arrival of spring, with all the greens and blues. This makes me realize that these shelves will continue to evolve, as I find a new treasure or with a change of the season.


I still don't have a set of guidelines for fail proof accessorizing but I can offer these tips. Do bring objects into your home that you love...(if you love the item it has a chance of looking good regardless of how you place it!) Then create layers, balance a visually heavy item with another one elsewhere, place a box or vase on a stack of books, bring in fresh flowers and remember empty space also plays an important role!

No comments:

Post a Comment