Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Name this decorating theme! What would you do?



This is my kitchen. (not quite finished but getting there) It's warm and cozy and even log cabiny kinda and has all the right elements for a rustic upscale country funky flair. (what IS my taste anyway?!? Does it have a name? Name that taste! Sounds like a good game show)




So why do I continue to be drawn to this look?



See that hutch thing over yonder? I like that too! It's rustic and suits this house to an absolutel T. It holds a ton of overflow kitchen stuff and even a big ol bag of dog food in the bottom. It's a must have!


So why must I continue to drool over this thing?!?



Here's a small glimpse of my living room with no curtains as yet. The screens are a recent find that offer some privacy until I can get things squared away the way I really want them. At first my thought flashed, wow, oriental. But now they just sort of fit in, black and all. I didn't plan for that to happen. Again.

Can you see a running theme going on? Do we always get that glimmer in our eyes for something we don't have? What leads us to our decorating decisions?

I love the coastal theme and or that fresh light country kitchen kinda feel. I love the light penetrating inspiring surroundings the whites and creams lend. There just isn't anything not to love. I was going to go along that route when I gutted and redid the kitchen. But at the eleventh hour, I didn't feel it was the right thing for my particular house. I mean, I'm nowhere near water except for the ditch out back. But then again, I'm not exactly on a farm or near tall log cabiny pine trees either...

Things just started to transpire and fit together like a puzzle. The current look really does suit this house. However, perhaps some accessories need to lighten up abit...




And I totally know that can be done. Take for example, my fireplace mantel. It can be the funky chicken kitchen or the log cabin by the lake look, depending what you put on it.

Here's where I'd love your input if you care to play. If you'd like to see abit more of the house at it's current state, click on this very not coastal picture below, of what my counters and cupboards and hardware look like close up... the link will carry you to my home reno blog where you can browse at your own leisure to get a feel for what's going on around here if you need more visual.



And I'd like you to tell me, if this was your place, what would you do to accessorize it?

And fess up if you're brave. Do you wobble back and forth between current trends wondering what if? Or am I the only one on this universe that wishes she had two kitchens with two very different looks just so I can have it all?

Honestly, I think the moral to this story is, those that have this thing for decorating like our types do, simply are inspired by many different looks. And we can be happy right where we're at with just the right tweeks to make it truly ours. I think if nothing else comes out of this, I can always girly up my office downstairs...

No comments:

Post a Comment