Tuesday, April 21, 2009

A Girl's Dream Bedroom - No Boys Allowed


Another new project I have just jumped into is inspired by happy colors and lively patterns. It is my daughter Isabella's room and I am thrilled to finally be designing this space for her. Initially we lived in a one bedroom apartment in San Francisco and there was no room for a nursery. Over the years we moved on to homes with enough bedrooms for everyone, but other projects took priority...oh, and then came the Disney princess phase, I just couldn't get inspired to put that room together! Now Isabella and I actually seem to be on the same (design) page. While sourcing fabrics we put together a story for the room that we both got excited about. I do, however, expect some differences of opinion as the project proceeds. She has a great eye and her own opinions that don't always agree with mine!


This before picture was not staged (to look worse)...I shot it today as we were running out the door to meet friends at a park. It's a bit of a mess to say the least, though to quote her "if there was more storage I would have a place to put things!" True, so more storage is one of the goals for the space. Yet I think before we 'break ground' I should have her sign a contract, pledging to make an effort to keep the room clean once it has been completed!


Projects for this room are:

1) Cover the walls with pale turquoise paint followed by a watery silver glaze
2) Paint a chandelier inspired motif border at the ceiling
3) Bring in side tables with storage
4) Place a desk and chair at the end of the bed
5) Hang drapes made from the pink and white lattice fabric
6) Make bedding from the various other fabrics shown in the photo
7) Hang a chandelier
8) Find new lampshades and rewire the vintage table lamps (my grandmother's)
9) Hang mirrors and a framed cork board to pin all her various drawings, notes and papers

Additionally, I plan to upholster a headboard, add a rug to brighten the floor and bins for more storage in the closet. Okay, I'm tired just writing about it because I know who is going to be doing all the work!

This is a room inspired not only by Isabella but the arrival of spring and its gorgeous riot of color. It is the type of project you look forward to working on through the warm summer months, and I suspect it will require the length of summer to complete. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment