Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Glass Bead Magnets~


This is a post from my Archives. Originally posted back in July of last year. But I thought it was worth sharing again. I just love a tutorial~

Here's a fun and easy project. (Great for doing with the kiddos.)


You will need:

Glass beads: I like the large (1-1 1/2") size but you can use any size. I found mine in Target in the flowers and vases section. A whole bag only cost $4.99!

Scrapbook paper: or in the case of the bee magnets, I drew the image myself and photocopied it...shrank it, enlarged it etc. And the toile magnets are made with pieces of fabric...I love TOILE! And have I mentioned before how much I love BEES?

Scissors

Mod Podge: Of course!

Magnets: I use the round ones you can find at any craft store.

Hot Glue: To glue the magnets on the back.


The way I actually made them is by cutting the paper (or fabric) into squares just larger than the beads.

I put Mod Podge on the flat side of the bead and centered the image just where I wanted it (you can see the image even when the Mod Podge is not dry.)

I didn't put a coat of Mod Podge on the back of the paper although you certainly could, but I did coat the back of the fabric with Mod Podge.

After the Mod Podge was sufficiently dry, I cut around the edge of the bead trimming the paper (or fabric) as close as I could.

Then I hot glued on the magnets.

VOILA!

I have seen them made by layering on different papers etc. which can make them much fancier, but I usually make them with my kiddos and so try to keep it as simple as possible.

These are also really fun to make into push pins. Simply use a smaller sized glass bead and hot glue flat headed push pins to the back instead of magnets. Easy Peasy~

Happy Crafting~

No comments:

Post a Comment