Sunday, March 13, 2011

Musical dressers

Hello all! How was your weekend? I didn’t get many DIY projects started, but I did clean our bathroom (yikes) and got one big project marked off my list – and I didn’t even have to paint like I thought I would! Score!

If you remember back last May, I showed you the Bub’s big boy room redo:

A few months later I realized I needed to find a new solution for his clothing storage. I had installed really cool slide out bins in the closet, but many of them were too tall for the Bub to get to.

So I started thinkin’. And searching…on Craigslist. :)

And I found a beautiful dresser for about $100 and was SO excited. It was adorable:

A little too adorable – it was teensy tiny. That’s the thing with Craigslist though – no returns.

I had planned to paint it, but I wanted to live with it for awhile, and I’m so glad I did. Whenever I hesitate for, oh…six months or so – I know there’s something not quite right. ;)

It’s been about six months since I got it, and it took about five months and two weeks to realize there’s was NO way it was enough storage. I mean, my boy’s clothes are still pretty small, but there were just six little bitty drawers and it just wasn’t working.

So I searched, and searched. And searched some more. For months. I was on my Craigslist app every day or two, looking for that perfect dresser for this spot. Couldn’t find a thing (for the price I wanted to pay).

Fast forward to one day a few weeks ago. While sitting in our family room, I gazed over at the lovely dresser (another Craigslist find) and thought to myself,

“Self, a dresser just like that is exactly what I’m looking for in the Bub’s room.”

drexler dresser

(Ignore those cords. You SO know I dealt with them.)

Hmmm. If only I had another beautiful, long dresser that I could replace that one with.

Enter one more Craigslist search last Friday.

Alas my dear Squeezies, the day had finally arrived. The heavens shined down on a listing for a beeeeautiful, long, Henredon (aka well made, gorgeous, fantastic) dresser.

The measurements were PERFECT. The color was PERFECT. The storage…PERFECT.

It would be mine. And so it was. Mine.

And I gotta tell you, I have been meeting the nicest people buying through Craig and his List. We bought this dresser from an older couple who were downsizing and moving to Florida to be closer to their kids and grandkids. We chatted with them for some time, just hanging out. The woman loaded up my Goodwill stuff in her car for her next trip (it was hard fitting it all in my car with the dresser), AND…they were sure my husband was about 15 years younger than he really is.

He liked them a LOT. ;)

He does look 15 years younger than he is by the way…which is great, cause any day now I’m going to look older than him. Or maybe I already do? Fantastic.

Anyhoo – the patience paid off. The old family room dresser came up to the Bub’s room, and I am in LURVE:

airplane roomOh be still my ever-lovin-the-classic-look-heart. It’s so beautiful. Any other dresser I was going to paint, but I couldn’t decide on a color. Funny how things work out, because I’m not painting this one.

I love the warm tone of the wood with the classic colors in his room:

classic boy's room

It’s a little worn on the top, which is just fine for a little boy’s room:

I didn’t do much accessorizing – just put Squishy (the second? third?) up there, stacked some books in a wire crate I found in my father-in-law’s house (LOVE), and a couple other pieces I had:

Awhile back I scrubbed the rust off of the crate and sealed it. I put a bunch of felt protectors on the bottom of so it won’t damage the dresser.

I love having something of my father-in-law’s in our son’s room. :)

It only took about FOREVER, but I finally found the just right dresser for that spot.

And the new piece looks fantastic in the family room:

henredon dresser

The Scooby Doo haunted house to the right is the perfect finishing touch, yes? :)

Don’t you love those knobs?:

It’s so beautiful, and in fantastic condition.

And the best part…such a perfect spot to hide toys:

IMG_3479

Perfectly hidden, and easy to put away.

I’m using dressers all over our house now -- they’re not just for clothes anymore:

IMG_3474

Sigh. Oh my. I love it.

Big FAT double thump to the chest at ya Craig!! Yo YO.

And lest you think I have it all together, this proves that I chuck stuff out of the pictures:

yikes

That would be the rest of our family room. :)

No more dresser searches for me now though – we’re maxed out here, finally. For reals, no more. The black one will go in the guest room, and it will be so lovely in that space. But NO MORE. Pinky swear. I’m saying it here so I will stick to it. :)

So, what about you? Do you love dressers like I love dressers? Looking for that just right piece? Taking awhile?

Patience grasshopper, it will come to you…in about six months or so. 

 

P.S. One hundred pennies to the person who can find the bit of Christmas left in the Bub’s room. I keep forgetting about it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment