Friday, September 25, 2009

Metal features ~ You just can't buy this stuff anywhere



Metal. Anyone else love this stuff?

I'll admit, my taste in decorating has a unique twist to it. Which forces me to create rather than buy. Because what's circling in my head simply doesn't exsist on a shelf anywhere in many cases.



And the stairway spindles are the perfect example. I made my own metal spindles for the new staircase because you simply can't buy what was living inside my head and the look I desired to have. The rustic metal is really bringing out the other metal features in the room and that is why this works so well.

What other unique metal features you ask?




The kitchen hardware on the cabinets. I freaked when I found these and had no idea how perfect they would tie in with everything later. Complete fluke, but it was all about trusting your gut and choosing something that spoke back to you. They had an old world rustic and slighly funky feel to them. Little did I know they'd set the theme for the entire upstairs.



The metal topped island. Designed by myself, fabricated by my buddy Dan, it's not only a workhorse, it's beautiful!  The sides are softly curved, edges with large radius corners, which really minimizes the size visually. It's a very large island that you can sit at from both sides, but fits perfectly smack dab in the middle of the open floor plan upstairs. No one stocks stuff like this.




The fireplace encosure I had custom fabricated also by Dan. (this guy's kinda good but I'm not far behind... muaha..) I didn't desire the exsisting square opening so this plate was fabricated to fit, complete with slide out pins so I can change to a gas stove at a later date if I wish. But if that means losing my beautiful riveted metal plate, I'll stay with wood, thank-you!




And let's so not forget the metal corbels holding up the fireplace mantel. Ohhhh yeah. And, the only reason I didn't fabricate these items myself is because there were deadlines galore at the time. The renos were in high gear and I was busy gutting my kitchen, nevermind creating.

So, with those kinds of deadlines gone, I'm back to dreaming and creating with guidance again. And it's a very good place to be!



Some days I think the only one that really gets me is my dog Jenna. I mean, who else hangs around me like a shadow, listens to my mumblings and watches me create and never rebuttles a thing I do? You rock, Jenna. Total support system here.  And just for that, I'm gonna make something metal just for you too one day!

If  ready made decorating just isn't ringing your bell any longer and you're striving to create something that isn't sold anywhere else, create it and make it uniquely yours. This stuff has danced in my head for way too long. It needs to be fabricated and by golly, the more I learn, the more I can and will do! Bring on the power tools!

Be unique, be yourself, and continue to dream and create. Start small with those old doors and windows and work yourself up as you get familiar with tools. And by all means, buy yourself some great tools so you CAN create! (I'll do a post on my favorite tools soon!)

I'm totally ruined. I can't walk in a store with retail stuff any longer. I tsk at the prices, then go to the nearest thrift, pick up my newest treasure and go home and play and make that trinket look like a million bucks. I'm now stocking for those other than myself so I can build up some unique pieces when the need arrives.

(Storage?!? What storage? But that's another story.)

Anyone else out there like me? Do you have this crazy stuff circling around in your head that you have to get out? Or is it really only Jenna and I in this together after all?!?

P.S. Just WAIT until you see what I do with my shower surround... ho ho hooooo....



No comments:

Post a Comment