Wednesday, September 16, 2009

How to revive a dresser~

I've had this little black dresser in my upstairs hallway for a couple of years now. I loved the black, but the dresser was looking a little worse for the wear, and I really wanted to lighten it up.



I took a clue from these little egg prints that hang above the dresser and decided to paint it blue. I matched the paint to the background of the prints.



And. I. hated. it.

I wasn't sure what to do. Repaint? Choose a different color? Well, I decided to try to age the color a little bit so that it better matched the egg prints. I went and bought a small tube of acrylic paint in Burnt Umber. I watered it down (a lot) and then brushed the wash over the entire dresser, wiping off the excess as I went.


It brought the color down a notch and made it look a little worn. Much. better. But, I had more plans for this little dresser. I wanted to add numbers to each drawer (of course I did!) Now, I have tried many different ways of painting numbers on furniture, but this time I decided to use this idea from Layla. It worked great!


I didn't want the white to be too bright, so I toned it down with some burnt umber as well, and then painted the little numbers right on each drawer. I just love the finished product.


Here she is in all her glory. (The color is a little off in these photos....my walls are not nearly that orange, and the dresser isn't nearly that powder-blue...but you all get the idea, right?)


Now I've fallen in love with this little piece all over again! Hooray for a little paint!

I'm linking to DIY day over at A Soft Place to Land.
Oh, and join me over at Blissfully Domestic where I'm talking about how to create chic and fun canopy beds on a budget!

Have a great Thursday~

No comments:

Post a Comment