Sunday, September 27, 2009

An Eye for Pretty~

One of my favorite compliments I've ever received from a reader was being told that I have "an eye for pretty." I just love the idea of finding the pretty in the everyday. And when it comes to this little lamp that was certainly the case.


On Friday I showed you this little lamp in its "before" stage. Too sugary. Too precious. Too....brass.



BEFORE


So I gave her a few coats of spraypaint.



The spraypaint helped. But now the pretty lamp needed a lampshade that suited her new look. And the lampshade I had planned on using just wasn't going to cut it. So I thought, and I thunk, and I thinked. And it hit me. I had to make the perfect lampshade for this little beauty.

Now, I have purchased and used self-adhesive lampshades before, but when I went to buy another one, I was surprised at how expensive they were. I REALLY don't remember them being that costly. And this lamp IS a Frugal Friday project afterall. So I had to rethink my plan.

I was still mulling it over as I ran to Target to pick up such glamorous items as pull-ups and AA batteries (yes, I know, my life is sooooo glamorous!) when I happened to walk past the lighting section and see a small, plain white lampshade that was just perfect - and half the price of the self-adhesive version.



I had to make my own pattern for the fabric (which was actually very easy to do...I just rolled the fabric around the lampshade and cut it to fit. I could have been much more technical, but I am not a patient person when it comes to these sorts of things...sigh.) Then I hot glued it on to the shade. But the shade would be nothing without the addition of three sweet little rosettes. They made it just perfect. A little shabby, a little chic, a little romantic. Perfect!


Linking to DIY Day at A Soft Place to Land.


Have a lovely day~

No comments:

Post a Comment