Thursday, November 18, 2010

Kitchen Nook Art & Chalkboard Wall



I still love the result of the chalkboard art wall in my husband's home office! It's an interesting mix of these two approaches to dressing up a wall. And while I have been thinking of hanging art on the wall behind the kitchen nook table, it wasn't until I got the idea to paint a chalkboard stripe to frame the art did I get inspired to move the project forward.


I began by ordering a can of Strong Addiction from Hudson Paint. What a great name, referring to the color of a strong cup of coffee! And how fitting, as the one piece of artwork I knew I wanted to hang here was the I Love You Blogs and Coffee print by Jen Ramos.

After testing a spot of color on the wall, which looked so strong I had second thoughts, I taped out the stripe. I have to tell you, my husband had his doubts as well, but I reminded him (and myself!) that the chalk rubbed over the surface would soften the color significantly.


Next the wall was painted. I had thought about just painting a rectangle underneath the window, rather than running the paint all the way up from the baseboard to the window casing and up to the ceiling. However, I thought the tall sweep of color would feel less "chopped up" and help unify the window and future artwork.


Ah...much better, it is already less harsh.



A bit of rubbing followed by wiping and then deciding what art to hang. It's still a work in progress...I'll show you where it lands tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment