Tuesday, November 16, 2010

How do you challenge yourself?


 Have you noticed a little theme that's transpiring on my blog lately?



The weekend themed linkups basically dictate what the entire flavor of that weekend's link party will be.

So what have I been doing?




 Create something new myself with the new theme to really ring it in.

And last week I pushed it even further.


old crate stairs

Not only did I create my first wooden cut out to create something rather cool, I re staged the stairway AND created a new photo shoot.

And yes, it was alot of work. But the best kind. :)

What does that really mean anyway? Just making stuff for the house?

In a word,  alot.

Back when I was involved in the online contest, So You Think You Can Decorate?, the weekly challenges really pushed me in areas I didn't know I was capable of. It was a grueling run to try and come up with something fantastical each weekend, but we all did it.  





And some of those projects are what I regard as some of my biggest accomplishments to date.

All because I rose up to the challenge.

The themed linkups every weekend are in effect, offering the same thing. I'm personally challenging myself to go forth and create in the same style as if I were in a contest. But this time, the only win is my own achievement and experience. Something MUCH more valuable than a prize. (although prizes are cool indeed, I won't lie!)

I don't know about you, but sometimes I'm just at a loss on what to play with. My house needs so much work and I'm not sure where to gravitate towards. Being careful with funds also isn't helping.




But chime in a theme with a deadline, and the direction becomes less hazy. Throw in a way to make stuff for free, and it's a downright fight to the creative finish! :)

BUT what my self inflicted challenge is also doing is helping me to grow and explore where I haven't gone yet. I'm trying something new I've never done before every single week. Some of those things work. And some fail. However I know without a doubt, the more I try, the higher my eventual list of accomplishments will become.

And don't you worry about failures! A good friend of mine reminds me all the time how valuable his dumpster full of mistakes is.


 


While I don't desire to make 50 of any given item, (I commend those that can do it, but one is enough for me!), I DO desire to keep trying new things I've never done OR seen done before. And the themed challenges highly encourage me.

Remember the Success post? Some of the comments told me not only are we holding ourselves back, we're not going out there in any set direction either. Because of fear.

Well, you have nothing to fear here! I officially challenge you to challenge yourself. Not sure what to do? Use the themed linkups to try new things and get that passion flicked back on HIGH if you aren't able to coast this one on your own. You will not only have a blast, you will LOVE the finished result! And be very proud of your accomplishments. :)

No time? Me neither.  Remember the 10 minute rule? It's my bet, you start playing for 10 minutes and perhaps you''ll let that once important TV show slide and produce instead. :) This creating is very contagious you know.

Achievement comes from attempting, making mistakes, completing, creating, inventing.  Not from, "I can't, I don't have time, I'm too tired, I'm scared."


my torn sheet lampshade project 

Next themed linkup this weekend is WHITE. Yep,  you can indeed enter an older white project, but why not whip up something brand new?!? I am! And I'm going to be learning an additional lesson in electrical this week too. :)

Consider yourself challenged! By me. :)

Oh. By the way... yes, photoshoots matter. Alot. I've had some media inquiries and have been asked for photos. So I pushed myself all last weekend to do just that. Click click click. (will tell you more later)

I get asked when I sleep. How do I do this or that. Where do my ideas come from.

I'm no different than anyone else reading this blog. EXCEPT for the fact that, when I feel it, I go after it. And just do it.

And no, I can't do it all. My house may not be clean, but by golly the cool stuff hides the dirt! :)

It matters. Every bit of it.
Now go make something. And take the best photos you possibly can. And blog about it. If this is your chosen passion, it's all for a reason. The puzzle pieces WILL fit one day, just you wait and see.

Just do it.

What do you think? 
If you challenged yourself, would you achieve more? 
How do you keep yourself challenged? 
Any tricks up your own sleeve to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment