Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Baby It's Cold Outside!

Hello!

(I have changed the title of this posting because right now, it fits our weather to a T. Bbbrrrrr..... It fits my card too...LOL.)

Happy Tuesday! It's the 4th Tuesday of the month, so it's time for our Challenge #2 at the Magnolia-licious Challenge Blog. I had so much fun creating this card.


This is an inspirational challenge. You're to use this picture that Candy has chosen to inspire you to create something. This is going to be fun, fun, fun. I can’t wait to see what people will create. Everybody is going to have a different take from this picture...tee hee…it’s practically open theme!

I hope you will join us in our 2nd challenge. There's prize! Woo hoo..... This Mistletoe Doohickey is what you can win if your name is randomly drawn. (I want it too--wish I can enter the challenge myself...LOL.)






Now with me, when I first saw this picture, my eyes focused right away on the windows--go figure! My thoughts were: Hey, I can do a window card! And what would I see if I look out those windows? Is that weird or what!

I did have a few other ideas playing around in my head and I kept changing my mind, jumping from one idea to the next and then to the next, back and forth. But in the end I went with my first idea anyway.

I do a lot of my paper cutting the old fashion way--that's with a ruler, a pencil and a craft knife. Those are what I used to create the windows here.

I actually initially created doors instead of windows, you know like French doors, with the window panes going from top to bottom. But that didn't give me any blank space to write personal messages on, so I abandonned that card...ouch.

With this 'window' card, when I open the windows, I have a couple of clear spaces at the bottom to write more sentiments and messages.


For the inside of my card, I went with another type of card which I haven't done before. It's a frame card. I found a frame-card tutorial for it that Tanya has done for Stempeleinmaleins blog.


I've used 3 Magnolia stamp images here.

This is Snowie with Snowflake from the So Snowy Collection 2009. The Winter Fence and the Winter Forest are from the Santa Collection 2008.

Oh, and that adorable angel standing in front of the window is Tilda with Wreath and she is from the So Jolly & Under the Mistletoe 2009 Collection.
All these Magnolia stamps can, of course, be purchased from Diana's on-line store Magnolia-licious. If the stamp that you want (not just the ones that I used here, but ANY Maggie stamp) if it's not a stock item or the stamp is out of stock, then Diana will be more than happy order it in for you.

And if you have snow on your card, of course you must use glitter. Glitter glitter everywhere--on my card, on my craft table, on my craft room floor, on my clothing...and on me!!! LOL. No, seriously though, I've added glitter to the snow on the fence, the snow on the trees, the snow on the ground, on the snowflake that Snowie is holding, on the fur trim of Snowie's hat and his gloves; and also on Tilda's wings and headband.
I'm not sure if you can see the glitter very well here, even if you blow up the picture...oh, well.

I wanted to show the 3-D look of the scene in the frame card, so here's a side view.

Now, I am also going to use this card for the following challenges:

Creative Inspirations - Anything Christmassy/Winter.

ABC Christmas Challenge - X is for Xmas


Our Creative Corner - Create a Holiday 3-D project.

A Spoonfull of Sugar - Anything Goes

Stamps: All these Magnolia stamps that I used can be purchased from Magnolia-licious on-line store: Tilda with Jolly Wreath from the So Jolly & Under the Mistletoe Collection 2009, Snowie with Snowflake from the So Snowy Collection 2009, Winter Fence and Winter Forest from the Santa Collection 2008.Studio G Kolette Hall design Snowflakes, the sentiment is computer-generated.
DP's: hey, look at that, no DP used here!
Tools: McGill punch Holly, Martha Stewart border punch snowflakes (for the tiny snowflakes inside the card), Cuttlebug dies Vintage.
Misc.: Tim Holtz distress ink pad Frayed Burlap. I bought the metal clasp from a Lee Valley, a Canadian hardware store (and no, despite it having my last name, it’s not my store…don’t I wish!)
In case you're interested in the measurements for the window panes that I used for my window card, the template is below.

To the left here, is the card with the French doors that I decided not to use. The measurements for the window panes are below also.

Note: This only works for a 6-inches square cards--the majority of cards are of that size.

You can easily make your own--whatever fits the size of your card.
I drew them with pencil and then cut them out with my craft knife. I used clear acetate sheet for the glass, cut to fit.

Thanks for dropping by. I appreciate your visit. Sorry the posting is so lengthy.


No comments:

Post a Comment