Monday, October 18, 2010

Retail Inspiration~

I love to shop. But perhaps not for the reasons you may think. Don't get me wrong. I enjoy finding a great deal as much as anybody, but one of the biggest reasons I love to shop is for decor inspiration.

For example, have you walked into a store and been blown away by a display? Anthro is particularly good at doing this. I am constantly inspired by their merchandising and their windows. They definitely think outside the box.

I have a good friend in my neighborhood who is amazingly talented and has exceptional taste. I think she was probably born with style...no, she probably had style while still in the womb.

Anyhoo, one day she went into a West Elm store and saw a fabulous steel drum that they were using as a side table. Trouble is, it was just for display. Not for sale. No matter how she tried to sweet talk them, they wouldn't sell her the drum. So, being a girl after my own heart, she decided to make her own.


The biggest problem she had with the project was locating a steel drum. Most of the ones she found were filled with oil or gasoline, or some other lovely substance that she didn't want to bring in her home. But then one day she lucked onto one in a salvage shop while on a trip to Idaho. But being out of state didn't stop her...she snatched it up!



It took several coats of primer and paint to get coverage the way she wanted. Then she simply stenciled on a number 8 and VOILA!



A unique sidetable....





You gotta love retail inspiration for helping a DIY diva to make a great statement!! Great job Erika!
All photos courtesy of Erika

Is your home decor ever inspired by things you see in retail shops?
And before I go....congratulations to Hannah at Young and Crafty! You are the winner of the Greenleaf Gifts giveaway! Drop me an email and we'll get you set up with your lovely gift!

No comments:

Post a Comment