Thursday, October 28, 2010

Drapery Progress...


After hanging the drapes I noticed a few things. First, the clip rings were not doing these heavy drapes justice. The weight of the drapes were pulling down the panels, causing them to sag, leaving too much room between the top edge of the drape and the drapery rod. Additionally, the lower section of the drapes read too dark in an already darker room and what is up with that light switch peeking out from behind the panel? Am I the only one that is irritated by oddly placed switch covers?


To make the needed adjustments I purchased some drapery hooks, which after being attached to the panels will simply be slipped over the existing rings. Luckily there is no need to remove the clips already on the rings...they won't even show once the drapes are hung.


I also decided to extend the rod length and add another ring to each end of the rod, which I just happened to have on hand. Hopefully this will allow the panel to fall a little further over on the right side, covering at least a bit more of the switch plate. (Yes, this is one blurry photo, but I was on a ladder, taking the picture with one hand. As I tell my kids, safety first!)


Then the hooks were inserted at the top back side of the drapery panels, at even intervals. While making the drapes I had fused heavy weight interfacing along the top edge, which provided a sturdy area to secure the hooks. Adding fusing along the top edge also helps the drapes hold their folds after being hung.


Afterwards the drapes were rehung. What a big improvement!

With the hanging issue corrected, it's now time to hem the panels. Then I'll attach a band of trim along the lower edges, made from this fabric...


...similar to how bands of fabric were attached to the drapes below. (See tutorial here.)


Maybe the drapes will be done tomorrow? It's looking hopeful!

No comments:

Post a Comment