Monday, October 25, 2010

DIY Architectural Letters For The Bedroom Art Wall

bed eclectic bedroom

I've been searching for architectural letters to place among images on an art wall as part of the Master Bedroom Redesign. This was inspired by the above image I included in a recent Ideabook written for Houzz, 'Bedroom Art Walls'. Having no luck finding any, I decided to make them myself with the goal of creating authentic looking rusty and worn metal letters.


The supplies needed for this project are letters, tinted primer, metallic and orange paint. I found these paper mache letters at Joann Fabrics, just what I was looking for. Even better they were on sale, spending under $5.00 for both, and I selected "M" for Max and "I" for Isabella.


When I laid out the supplies to get started, Max wanted to help...gotta love some free assistance! With this project, the messier you are with the painting, the better. A six year old boy certainly fits that bill.


To make these DIY "Metal" Architectural Letters, begin by covering the letters with tinted primer.


Let dry to touch.


Then brush metallic paint over the letter surfaces.


Rub in the paint and wipe away with an old cloth.


Next mix or find a deep orange paint to add some instant age with "rust".


Brush accents of "rust" paint on the letters.


Rub in the paint and wipe away with the cloth.


Finally brush on and wipe away another layer of metallic paint to cover the "rust" paint, making the effect appear more authentic.


I love these letters! This was one super easy project and won't they look great hung on the wall among art or photographs?

No comments:

Post a Comment