Monday, December 28, 2009

Wanna critique blogsphere? Here you go!





Do you sometimes hold your breath as you push 'publish?' I think I do every single time. :)

One of the hardest things in life to deal with for most is the fear of rejection. Wouldn't you agree?





A first in blogland.. attaching house numbers to a dresser. Risky? Ohhh yeah.

I for one, commend every one of you DIY bloggers for putting your thoughts, ideas and projects 'out there'. It's so fun to share what we've created, but you also know, critiques, good and bad, may come back your way.

When I went to graphic design school, we were instructed to work on our projects, then stand in line for a critique from the instructor. Many hesitated for he wasn't soft with his words. He stated things the way they were. And if you had a soft exterior, you were generally last in line to receive your 'truth.'





Bringing this old horse gate home was a risk I'm glad I took!

Well, I was generally one of the first. I didn't really care much about what he thought of me. I cared about what I could do with my work after he said his peace. I swear, after his ramblings, my hair had that super model wind blown effect once I returned to my seat! At least that's how he made me feel. But once I realized he wanted my work to improve, he taught me quickly to push my pride aside and listen up.  He wanted my work to be better than what it was. And that was why I always chose to be one of the first in line for his harsh critiques.





This curtain idea totally kept me up at night when I hit post!

Truthful critiques, if taken in the right light (and given with a kind delivery of course), are helpful! And serve a purpose. They will help guide you to a better way of doing things. You gain valuable insight why someone may not be visiting your blog when they wish they could. How your work has a chance to improve because someone spoke out. To gain insight on your creations if you wish to sell to the masses. You have to be open to risk in order to move ahead.

Do I take risks? Funky Risky Junk Donna ought to be my legal name.

You may have been one of the 'fortunate' to receive a small kind critique from me by now. :) And if you have, please please oh please know, it's because I care about what you're doing and I want to see you succeed! And in return, when you throw one back my way, I linger in word heaven, taking in each thought and suggestion and approval and even disapproval. Love it all! You cared enough to say something!

It would be a boring world if everyone said, "You're great! The End." How ever would we grow?




It's with this thought premise that I got brave and loaded my White Trash Bedroom on Rate My Space. I knew I'd get some raw insight and I wanted to test the waters further than blogland. For I think, we as a community, build ourselves up to a place where we've come to care and support one another. Not a bad thing, in fact, so comforting! But sometimes that can overshadow truthful critiques that are actually desired from time to time. (admit it, sometimes you just want to hear that your idea was great, but other times you're ready for the cold hard truth)

It isn't easy, let me tell you! But if you want to grow further in an area than where you currently are, getting the cold hard truth between the eyes will slowly get you there.

So here's where you can help me. I'd love you to critique my blog.

Don't you secretly wish at times you could tell someone why their blog wasn't working for you, without offending them? Well, let's push that notion to the side at my place. I'm opening the door to you here. I want to hear what you think. Because I know I can better my blog if I do!

One thing I totally already know is, I need a blog makeover. Badly. I can't stand different sized widgets and poor spacing. Drives me into a frenzy! However, funds won't allow me to spend on the blog at the moment, so I'm hacking away at this crazy html mountain a section at a time on my own. One thing I was careful with was, that the blog interface is easy to read, and low on flashy stuff that can slow a blog load down (features that keep me from visiting many out there because they freeze up my computer!)

So knowing that, tell me what you think.

Am I too wordy? (I love to write, can you tell?!?)
Posts too long? Short? (short... haha! good one)
Not enough decorating content?
You'd rather do without something I continue to do?
Something you want to see more more more of?
My ever changing format drives you crazy, or you like the alternating thing?

Also, why not share some pros and cons on what you do like/don't like in blogsphere in general? Your input here may be a nice way to deliver an indirect request to help other blogs. :)

Let's hear it! Whatcha got?


~ Update ~

Due to the overwhelming response this post recieved, below is Part 2
Thank-you for YOUR part in this!



No comments:

Post a Comment