Friday, December 25, 2009

Loot from blogland? Unlike any other.

I know why you're here. I really do.



But let me back up just abit though before I get into that.

This has been one of the leanest Christmas seasons ever for my son and I. I'm accustomed to having enough under the tree to not need the stand. But this year has been different.

I'll admit, I've been apprehensive about this season. I don't worry about doing without myself, but it's my son I was feeling blue about. I promised him one gift under the tree this season. And although I prepped him well, it was with a heavy heart I proceeded through the motions of Christmas. This is the first year ever I didn't require purchasing wrapping paper.



So, we began the Christmas season. For Christmas Eve, I decided I needed to hit a reset button badly. So we took in two local church services, very different from each other. The first was an amazing rock and roll rendition of all the traditional carols, a total powerhouse that had you bouncing on your feet, bellowing out all you had. Amazing. Truly.

We entered the second service which was a very homespun and delightful children's program. Enjoyable mistakes throughout the service warmed your heart to the little ones performing their big productions. We left with smiles on our faces, goodie bags in our hands, filled with the warmth of well wishes from our friends.



I didn't feel blue any longer. I felt the warmth of the spirit within and carried that to our next destination. My mom's home.

Friendly banter, teasing, food and opening some presents with Mom is always comfortable and so very home. I especially enjoy blog talk with my sis in law for she follows my blog daily and I'm able to share this little passion with someone in real time.

Upon coming home, I knew what loomed ahead. I tucked my son into bed and head into the living room, placing his one gift under the tree. And sighed.



I closed my eyes, and relived the evening. I allowed the good times to come on in, and kicked out the dread.

 The next morning I woke up before my son. I wandered to the tree disappointed for my boy. With renewed enthusiasm for I'm not even sure what, I walked downstairs in search of... I don't know. Something. A brainstorm. Anything.



I walked into a forgotten closet and BAM... I remembered a couple gifts I had stored away for a rainy day. I always meant to return them as they were overflow presents from a Christmas past, but never did. And here they were. Boy things. Perfect for my son!

As I placed the new gifts under the tree, I smiled. And with renewed enthusiasm, I grabbed for a shoe and did my annual sprinkling of the baking soda around the perimeter to create Santa's snowy footprints, a tradition I could put away now due to my son's age, but chose not to!

And then I smiled again. Big. My eyes wanderd to the gifts beside my son's. There were a couple of packages from blogland that I couldn't WAIT to rip open. For ME!



My son adored all the gifts he received and doesn't appear to be blue at all. And has informed me what he got was better than chicken cordon bleu! LOL!! I am relieved!

As for me, as I opened what Missy and Polly sent my way, I felt such a pull towards what the magic of blogland does for me.



I come here because you get me. No where else do I receive the kudos and encouragement you offer within a passion that recedes so very deep within. And when I actually had the opportunity to touch carefully chosen items that were especially meant for me, I was very touched back.



We have a beautiful home, great friends and family and our health. We have each other and all the other stuff is simply icing on the cake. Nice to have it, but not crucial for survival by any means.

Learning to live in leaner times has actually had it's rewards. I had the opportunity to teach my son that presents weren't why we celebrated Christmas. And he reminded me we needed to sing Happy Birthday today. :)

But I will tell you. Being able to have a small voice on the net with you, sharing what's inside, guiding, helping, learning, teaching, is an amazing gift in itself. No where else can one connect to so many with like minded passions and enthusiasm for our chosen hobbies.



You truly don't need a whole lot of loot to have a wonderful Christmas. The simple things truly are the best. Rejoicing in what you have, loving those around you, accepting their love back, giving without expectations, believing. All those are gifts that no amount of money could ever provide.

And I'm here to simply say, thanks for getting me. And why I come here. And for being interested enough to stick around. And for those of you that went out of your way to shower a little something extra my way just because.



Thanks for helping make Christmas 2009 a season unlike any other to date. I get to share this day with hundreds of well wishers desiring all the same things I do. Our compassion for our passion.



And, for love and acceptance. The best loot of all.

Merry Christmas! And thank-you for just coming around to visit. :)

You know how sometimes you just wish you could hear some voices on the other end of our monitors? If you feel inclined, I'd  just love a small hello from you today in the comments. Kind of like, you were really here. :)

p.s. stay tuned for some new projects I'll be creating with these incredible fabrics and trims from Make Mine Beautiful! Have you ever seen a collection so magificent?!? I love them, Polly!



p.s.s. thanks to The Little Green Bean for the little extras along with my beloved Espresso pillow I simply commented on one day that you simply HAD to send. Missy, you are a gem!

No comments:

Post a Comment