Monday, December 14, 2009

Funky no sew, no time, no cost Christmas decor.




I wanted a white/natural Christmas this year, and not meaning the snow variety. I just desired to see more whites and rustic realism in the decorating, rather than flash. Without spending money. And not requiring a boatload of time. Yes indeed, I wanted it all and by golly, I went for it! I left all the neon Christmas colours in the decorating box and started picking and choosing my direction.



I've posted about my tree before. For the white garland, I ripped a white sheet in 6" strips, leaving the frayed edges exposed.



Ah... why not add MORE garland. They fill up a tree real fast and I love the lush look.



A simple unsewn piece of burlap for the skirt and we're done here. Perfect! Next!



How about a little funk for the fireplace mantel? A neighbor had just pruned his trees so I ran out to scoop up some branches. I'd think of something...





The branches were laid out first, with mini lights littering the mantel. I covered the lights with a ripped sheet and simply added the rest. The result is quite a nice 'safe' glow in the evenings. The mini lights stuffed inside the white box illuminate the underside of the star.

If I haven't scared you yet, please read on. With some caution of course...



This one is safe. (lol) My kitchen office has a simple poinsettia given to me by a friend.



The light fixture above is pretty reserved. The white is ripped sheets once again. Oops, forgot to clip those threads!



But it just wouldn't be quite right to not do SOMETHING slightly out of the norm. The ladder will be the Christmas card display.



I didn't want to put up the stockings that I had, so...



... the burlap sandbags (I kid you not. $1.50 each at the local hardware) will do quite nicely. They looked weird on the mantel so they can just hang from two island chairs this year. And look how much they can hold too!! :D


I just like stars. So I gutted the tree abit more and added them to the island light fixture. (that is yet to be connected)



Ok, we're now in the kitchen. Have you guessed this year's theme at all?!?



The center window has a piece of ladder I cut down to this size. Yup, had it on hand just this way. It's future use is for a towel bar in the en suite.



Even the Nesterized lamps got further Nesterized with some stars and rustic twine.



The window sills were sprinkled with fake snow and under each star sits a canning jar with a glowing tea light. Quite a pretty effect!



Moving to a bathroom window... a quick fix was simply an existing wreath placed on a galvanized vase. Instant wreath topiary!



Welcome once again to the white trash bedroom. The headboard gate as you can see wears a new treatment.


I desired an over sized wreath so I simply wound up an existing garland in order to create it. I would have loved it partially flocked with no decorations, however that would have entailed me to break my no spending rule, so I decorated it in the tones of the bedroom instead.


The 'elitist high end' candle holders received some snow to winterize them up. I cannot even tell you how much I adore jars on a windowsill for candles. Safe from pets and kiddos alike! The jars look amazing day and night.



The area behind the 'big honkin' TV was still bare, so in went the new funkalicious sticks! Instant winter forest.



Complete with the new snowflakes my son just brought home from school!

Still with me? The next one is rather humorous.



My son hung the snowflake on the light tree as I was doing this photo shoot.

Me ~ "Why did you hang that there?"

He ~ "I wanted to decorate too!"

That's my decoratin' boy!!

Off topic but also humorous, he also informs me he wants to start a Lego blog. Where on EARTH would he THINK of such a thing at 10 years old?!? (I think I need to start a few new guy hobbies maybe)



Upon cleaning up after today's photo shoot, I came across my fav little furry critter snuggled into my bed. Awww man... you KNOW what you have to do of course.



Psssst.....



It's snuggle time. And all it'll cost you is a little love.




Got your tree up? Link open until Christmas!



Christmas Decor Part 1 - The Tree HERE


~ This post is shared with ~



Christmas Tour of Homes with The Nester




DIY Day @ ASPTL

No comments:

Post a Comment