Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Got a blog? This critique summary is for you.

Wow!



I think the entire town of blogsphere showed up for the post on the big critique!

Did you miss it? If you have a blog, it's critical you don't miss it.

The comments are what I wish to direct your attention to. I had requested that anyone that wanted to critique blogsphere, to please feel free.

The insight that was gathered was incredible! Anyone that has a blog, this critique is for you.

Now, the argument could be, not all of us like the same things. Shouldn't our blogs be a reflection of our individual tastes?

Yes and no.

 Yes, it's your blog. However, from my standpoint, most of the comments made were made in the reference of functionality. Or should I say, due to disfunctionality. Which is very different than simply chosing a background colour or logo.

I think we all agree, that we wish for our blogs to:

welcome our guests
be pleasant on the eyes
load quickly
ensure a guest's visit was enjoyable
hold interesting content to warrant a return visit

Easy right? Hmm... maybe not.

Read on for some tips that you may be unaware of, to help your blog welcome those that visit!




What you DO like in blogs

light and simple backgrounds
legibility
organization
visits with comments
frequent photos
quality photos
realism in writing
link party participants that make other visits
quality vs. quantity comments
fast downloads
helpful tips if you're a newbie
consistent 'pertinent' content
individual style to shine through
the focus is with your reader in mind (are they getting what they came for?)
not afraid to show flaws
comments returned
visits
*email read feeder option for the .com, non blogspot folks
*(where do you find this? help!)



What you do NOT like in blogs

dark backgrounds
too many bells and whistles
flashy, scrolly and blinky stuff
too commercial
coaxing to become a follower
gimmicks to become a follower
dissing of other bloggers
busy backgrounds
too many ads in too many locations
overloaded and over busy sidebar info
copy cat decorating content
word verification
manageable pics you don't have to scroll to see
comments asking you to come back to their place for votes, giveaways, etc.
dormant blogs
too many off topic posts
too many hoops to jump to enter a giveaway
no email contact in profile
poor grammar
typos



Things you dislike that SLOW DOWN your computer

snow falling
music
flashy, blinky or scrolly things
large sized or large file sized pictures
too many posts set to load on main page



Blog features you yourself love and use

email notification for comments
viewing blogs in readers for quick access and easy legibility



What you like about my blog

my stripes (kidding!)
my 'outside of the box' DIY style
originality
friendly
approachable
writing style - down to earth
good photos
frequent photos
blog tutes - easy to understand and implement
humor
honesty
sincerity
warmth
risks taken
my visits and comments
you feel like you know me
top posts listing on right sidebar
that I ask for opinions
getting to know the 'real' me
generous nature (highlighting others)



What you want to see on my blog

my Donald Trump hair :)
more blog building tips
more tutorials and videos
graphic design how-tos
faster loading pictures
to offer decorating advice



What I love about blogging most

the unique friendships I have made with you
~ Thank-you! ~

I'll be working down the list to see what I can do with my own blog.

I hope you enjoyed the info in the spirit in which it was given. It's a wealth of free information that can help kick that welcome door open just a little more for our special guests.

The original critique post is located ...



P.S. Grab a beverage. You'll be here awhile. :)

Amazing animal photos from http://www.freepicturesweb.com/

More comments to share? Feel free. I'll update the master lists as needed. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment