Monday, October 31, 2011

Junky fall mantel with... barbed wire?!?


While most of you would no doubt drool over priceless antiques, a chunk of barbed wire had me salivating during a recent junkin' trip.

Surprised?!? :)


Especially with fancy schmancy camera angles and against the right backdrop.. totally drool worthy material here.


Add a little rope, moss, leaves off the lawn and a scrumptious Jeanne Oliver burlap sack, and you have yourself a funky little fall wreath!


Nothing fancy here. Just a few old trinkets that offer the illusion like they were all discovered in an old quaint barn, long forgotten amongst the cobwebs and dust.


I didn't have any fall decor on hand, so I shopped the garage, yard and kitchen counter. Glad I bought that squash and never bothered to actually EAT it. :)


Nature knows no precision of layout or symmetry, so the leaves quell and fall wherever the wind may have blown them. Nor are they neatly book pressed. These are the real deal and the price was wonderful.


A rusty tool box with an 1849 light fixture shell provided some nice height and interest. I like how the round interacted with the rectangle.


And the light cover gave me the perfect opportunity to conjure up a pretend nest, seemingly vacated long ago before the frigid sharp winds kicked up.


Know what song kept running through my mind while I did this one up? 

"The north wind doth blow
And we shall have snow
And what will the  robin do then, 
Poor thing...

He'll sit in the barn
To keep himself warm
And hide his head under his wing
Poor thing." 

My mom use to sing that to me as a youngin'. :)


This kind of decor makes me think of my dad. I just close my eyes and vision and smell the old barns on our property that would creak and groan from the high winds of fall and winter. The sharp coldness would desperately try and get in however failed due to the hay insulating the buildings right to the ceiling. 


The barn kittens were nearly as toasty warm as a real crackling fire.


I didn't expect all these memories to hit today. I must be in a sentimental mood.

So this fits right in. Here's a little video slideshow I did with family farm memories. It was part of an entry in a contest on a tablescape feature in which I used the family farm sign. It was right after my mom passed away so it paid tribute to her at the time. 

"Remember When - Alan Jackson"






While I can't visit the farm any longer,  I can most certainly recreate it... my way. Right Mom and Dad?

Related posts:

No comments:

Post a Comment