Saturday, October 22, 2011

31 Days Blog to Biz / day 23 - practice!



It's been a long couple of days. I've been banging out a new project due next weekend for FOLK and it took much longer than I expected. Suffice it to say, I was late for SNS on Friday, the house is a disaster zone, (except for one small photo shot corner) and I am beat.

But part of my son's homework is to exercise for 30 min a day. It had rained all day and then suddenly it stopped. Not wanting to move more than I had to, I offered to walk with him anyway. Every move hurt until I had a brainstorm. I grabbed my camera on the way out and challenged myself to a 'manual' lesson. At dust. While walking. The worst possible photo conditions ever. Why not?

I forgot I was hurting because I started having fun again. :)

And my self assigned lesson? Color.







I'm amazed these even turned out. Really. It was a tough assignment. By the time I hit the picnic table area, it was nearly dark. Every area needed quick camera tweaks and in all honesty, a tripod. When your shutter needs to stay open longer to allow light in, it's critical to have your camera 100% stationary or you just end up with a bunch of blur.

And then my son gave me those pleading eyes. I remembered I was hurting so we ordered up a couple  burritos at the store. I could not fathom cooking tonight. Who can find the stove in that mess anyway...


While in the store, bleary eyed me asked the owner if I could practice indoors while we waited for our food. 

I know! Maniac at work here! The OFF button busted long ago.


Nice subject huh?


Yeah, we did something about that too. :)

We plunked our tired selves at a picnic table in front of a store, he eating, and me still shooting. And managed to remove every bit of health we just put into ourselves from that robust walk. :)

I've come a long way in a short time with this manual deal and I can't seem to stop. And I know it's the ongoing practice and forcing myself into difficult situations that's helping me pull this off.

I challenge you to do the same. Practice what you need help with. It'll be hard and you'll fail with flying colors over and over again. But one day it's gonna click and you'll amaze yourself.

No excuses. PRACTICE.

What do you need practice with?


All 31 Day posts to date are HERE.
Visit Day One for each listing HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment