Friday, October 21, 2011

5 things you don't know about (the girly) me

31 Day series is currently in session. Click HERE to visit.


1. I didn't know 'my' colors.


Long ago there was this one girl I worked with at a dept store that knew ‘colors’. And one day she pulled me aside and told me I wasn’t wearing the right color for me. I looked in the mirror at my lacy cream blouse and smart jade green slacks which were actually both very pretty, and realized my face looked ‘tired.’
So I put her theory to the test. The next day I wore what she suggested. Strong cool colors. Black slacks and a red and white top. Another glance in the same mirror showed that I was bursting with life in comparison... hmmmm...

2. I care about me more now.
I admit I don’t talk much about makeup and hair and clothing. But when BlogHer approached me asking if I’d like to be a part of a new series on taking care of US rather than our homes, I felt it was a worthy post. 
Personally, I’ve avoided working on ‘myself’ for a little too long. I prefer to play on my house, but let's face it, when we make half an effort on ourselves, it shows. Lately I've been paying a little more attention to what I've been wearing and that my hair isn't stuck in my big 'ol clip all the time. And when rushed, on goes my scrappy white ballcap and I 'fake it!' :)

3. I use to sell cosmetics.  


Yes, I use to be more of a girly girl. :) And something I learned pretty quick when selling cosmetics was that whatever ‘season’ you were made a difference in what makeup tones looked best on you. Just like my clothing experience.

4. I am a 'winter'.

Did you know you're a 'season?'  What that means is your skin tone, hair and eye color determine what tones look best on you, or, what season you are.  

For example, I’m a ‘winter’. So the colors that look best on me are cool tones. Bluer reds, truer greens, deep navy, crisp white and icy tones work best on a ‘winter’. I can’t wear warm undertones  with yellows or oranges  or creams unless I wish to look like I have the flu. :)
Finding out what season you are isn’t difficult. Simply google ‘find your colors’ or something similar and you’ll get loads of free advice. 
Now... the question BlogHer posed to me to answer was:
Fall is right around the corner. 
What are the Autumn colors and must haves in makeup?

5. I don't wear makeup tones according to the time of year.
 I know. :) Once a rebel, always a rebel. So here is my advice.


Find out what season YOU are first. Chose according to that, then have a look to see what tones and shimmers intrigue you for a given season.


Perhaps you'd like more shimmer during Christmas, and matte in the fall. Or lighter tones by day and deeper at night. You can use both theories while still using the right colors for your season. 


(Bet you had NO idea how smart I was with all this, huh? Sooo many hidden talents I tell ya...)
And how you apply it makes a big difference as well. If you haven’t experimented much with makeup and such, it may be worth your while to join a home makeup party or get some help in a department store. They can help you with color choices and technique.


Expensive makeup isn’t always the best either. I’ve found lower quality products that did the same job or better as the higher end, so always ask for advice when shopping. 
In a nutshell? 
Finding makeup tones to enhance your own personal ‘season’ will have you looking like a million bucks any time of year! :)


Are you up with the makeup trends? 
Does it matter to you what color makeup you wear in the fall? 





No comments:

Post a Comment