Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Valentine's Votives and a New Platter~

Here's a quick and easy project to pretty-up your Valentine's table. I posted these ages ago...back when I first started this blog. But because it's a pretty safe bet that virtually no-one saw them back then, I thought it was probably safe to share them again.

These are one of my favorite projects to do with the kiddos, but they are pretty enough to use on a grown-up-ish table. Now, I used baby food jars to make mine (because I had plenty of them handy at the time) but you could use honest-to-goodness, real-life votive holders to make yours.

All you need are a few votive holders, some tissue in pretty Valentines-y shades (I used pinks and reds), Mod Podge, a paint brush (or sponge brush), and scissors.

WARNING: This project is goopy...so if you want to try it with little ones, realize that you better cover their clothes, and also realize that you will actually end up doing a lot of the project yourself.

  • The best way to do this is to work in sections.
  • Apply a little Mod Podge, then add a piece of torn tissue.
  • Continue in this fashion varying shades of tissue. Make sure to overlap the tissue so none of the glass is showing. (This also helps to diffuse the light from the candles and casts pretty shadows.)
  • Take special care to only go up to the rim of the votive holder...DO NOT FOLD THE TISSUE OVER THE EDGE INTO THE VOTIVE HOLDER...that would be a fire hazard with an open flame...and we're not aiming to cause fires here.)
  • I like to cut out a little heart shape and place it on top of the other tissue.
  • Then seal the entire thing with another coat of Mod Podge.
  • Allow holder to dry thoroughly before placing a candle inside.

Then enjoy the soft glow these create. But please make sure not to leave candles unattended.

Now for one other little tidbit. Some of you may remember in my post about the shelves in my kitchen, that I mentioned needing another platter for the bottom shelf. Well, the cute Hubby was listening (or reading my blog) and guess what he got me for our Anniversary? Yep, a cute little square platter for the bottom shelf. Melts my heart, that guy!


Have a lovely Thursday~

No comments:

Post a Comment