Sunday, January 18, 2009

Kitchen & Family Room Redesign - Completed Backsplash










I am thrilled with the new backsplash! It accents the lighter tones in the countertops, actually making the granite look less (muddy) orange. This was one of my goals, and delighted the plan worked! The new subway tile also adds a bit of the elegance present in vintage inspired classic kitchens.









One project completed...how many to go?! Let's see if the budget OR my energy runs out first! However, what a great experience for me, as a designer. I think in the future I will have increased empathy for clients going through similar projects.

Apart from empathy, I think what I learned the most from this project is that in kitchens (as well as bathrooms with wall tile in the design) the tendency is to focus on the countertop surface, leaving less thought and budget for the backsplash. Granted the countertop is a working surface that requires a unique set of considerations, but from a purely visual standpoint, backsplashes are equally important. When I stand back and look at this kitchen the backsplash, being a vertical surface, is the predominate feature rather than the horizontal countertop surface.

So, something to keep in mind when working on kitchens and baths. Give the backsplash design proper thought, leaving a bit of money in the budget to do it right. The cost of a backsplash is typically much less than that of the countertop, yet can often be the highlight of the room.

No comments:

Post a Comment