Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Skirting the Issue~

This is the tale of how a little old chair got all dressed up!


Last year the Hubby and I found a pair of antique ladderback chairs being thrown out by the local auction house. Their lines were lovely, but their rush-woven seats had seen better days. As in, one was missing entirely, and the other one...well see for yourself. But they were cute, so we hauled them home, and planned on cutting out and upholstering new seats for them.



We have desperately needed a chair for our piano for a while now. Whenever anyone wants to play, they have to drag over a chair from the kitchen. So the other night as I lay in bed, I had a brainstorm. It is for exactly these reasons that I keep my inspiration notebook by the bed. I jotted down the idea, and knew it would be safe until morning.

So yesterday I went to work. First I tied on some chair cushions- left over from the rocking chair that used to be in the boys' nursery- to make it soft and cushy for the tushy.



I have some old cotton duck PB slipcovers which have served me well, but have seen better days. So I grabbed one of them. The old ladderback was much too tall for the cover, but I didn't let that deter me. I cut a slit in the top and rolled and tucked...it looked good, but something was missing. And being the queen of photo transfers, I had a brainstorm. I printed out a vintage sheet music cover and transferred it onto the seat of the slipcover. Now my pretty ladderback has a nice, new, perfectly shabby skirt. Ain't she purdy?



Don't Forget!!! Today is the last day to enter the drawing for the lovely crowned heart necklace.


Have a lovely Wednesday~

No comments:

Post a Comment