Thursday, October 30, 2008

Laundry/Half Bath Reveal...Finally!

Today is the long-awaited, much anticipated (by me at least) reveal of our laundry room/half bath! I believe in giving credit where credit is due, so I want to start out by saying that this whole design was really a collaborative effort between me and the Hubby. He has a great eye for design, and we really planned this thing together right from the start. Besides that, he did all the hard stuff in here (anything construction related) I painted and did the decorating. So, ya know, he deserves a little pat on the back.


And now for those of you who care at all why it has taken so long for us to finish, I have a little story about the reason (I promise to be brief). Some very good friends of ours had a "minor" catastrophe with their house. What started out as simply having a french door to their deck replaced ended up being a major remodel of one side of their house. The contractor who was putting in the door discovered a problem with their subfloor which was rotting. (Hey the house is over 200 years old, so what do you expect?) The rotting floor discovery led to a cracked beam discovery which led to a structural engineer telling them that they had to brace up the second floor...yada yada yada. So since the Hubby is a home improvement contractor, he helped them put the whole thing back together. And since this project was in addition to his other job commitments, he spent his spare time there working on their house instead of at our house. And you know what? That's okay with me. We love our friends. Their house is now fine. And our laundry room/bathroom is now finished. Sooooo after that super long explanation....here's the laundry/bath...



We went for a cottage-y farmhouse feel...
I really wish I had some before pictures, but the Hubby had torn out everything before we even moved in. I'm not exaggerating. There was no floor, no vanity, not even a toilet. He had to put a toilet in the first day we lived in the house. True story.

I love this mirror. Picked it up forever ago. It's followed us from house to house, but it looks perfect here. (I'll have to take it with us if we ever move though!)

One of my favorite things about this bathroom...the little vanity and the faucet! We had to have storage, but didn't want to take up too much room so we found this little darlin' at Home Depot. I love the fact that it looks cottagy like an old farm sink. And I *heart* that faucet!


Here is one of the locker baskets I had tucked away, it was too wide for the shelves I'll show you in a minute, but it looks great on the floor with extra towels tucked inside!


Uh, so yeah, what do I say about this...it's the toilet. Ahem. But what I really wanted to show is the beadboard wainscotting....it's 4 feet high with a great ledge on it. The wall behind the washer and dryer has beadboard all the way up to the ceiling...a focal wall if you will! And on the window...a little mistreatment. Just used remnant fabric from my mudbench and upholstery tacks.

This is the shelf on the other wall above the washer and dryer. I adore how it turned out! My cute feather lamp found a home there. And I love the idea of the old farm wire basket holding extra TP. Hey, at least my guests will know where it is if they should run out ;-) The sign reminds me that I should make things easy on myself (even though I do at least 10-12 loads of laundry of week.)


A great idea for holding those pesky drier sheets. (And q-tips - never know when you might need 'em.)



The shelf with the washer/dryer...see the little green light on the washer...yeah, it's running...pretty much always! :)

A little side note for those of you with design-oriented minds. We decided to go ahead and mix metals here...all of the fixtures are a brushed nickel, and the accents are an oil rubbed bronze (or a painted black...it all looks the same to me) but we figured, if we're aiming to look cottage, then we can mix and match finishes because it gives it an acquired-over-time feel. Besides I like the way it all looks together - which is what really matters.



Oh, and these pumpkins? Not in the bathroom...in the kitchen....just here to remind me to say Happy Halloween!

Have a lovely weekend~

No comments:

Post a Comment