Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Up on Cloud No. 9

Hello! Happy Tuesday!

A new inspirational challenge for December at the Magnolia-licious Challenge Blog. One week earlier! Don't worry though if you're still working on a project for last week's colour challenge, because that one is still open for another week. So we have the 2 challenges open at the same time for an entire week. We're starting this today, so we can concentrate on Christmas as we get closer to the big day. This new challenge will run until January 10, 2011, the day before January's first colour challenge. This is Chrissy's month and she has chosen the theme white-on-white--at least that is how I interpreted it, so I went with that in mind...LOL.

I had wanted to do something like the card below ever since I saw all the Tilda angels in the pre-order list, but what I had imagined in my mind was...navy night sky, golden moon and stars. Hmm...maybe I will still do that at a later date. But for now, this being a white-on-white theme, this is a tri-shutter card that I came up with.

In keeping with the white theme I did consider having the angels wearing white robes, but colouring white is not something I have learned to do very well...sigh...and to do it for 3 images!!! Yikes...I quickly abandoned that idea. I opted for colours for their robes instead...LOL. And besides I really really wanted to colour those striped tights. I love it when Tilda is wearing her striped socks or tights...tee hee, they are so cute.

This is what my card looks like if I flattenned it out.


These 3 adorable angels are from Magnolia's new A Merry Little Christmas Collection 2010. They are Starlight Tilda (in yellow), Angel Tilda (in dusty rose) and Sitting Angel Tilda (in blue). This last one is my favorite image from this collection--she looks like an angel with a little bit of naughtiness in her...LOL. These angels are available from Magnolia-licious, Diana's online store for anything Magnolia (and much more).

If you haven't made a tri-shutter card before, this is an overhead view of the card. There are quite a few tutorials on the internet. Here is a link to just one of those tri-shutter card tutorials.


What I was trying to do was paint a picture in white. I wanted to make it more 3 dimentional with embossed images and 3-D embellishments to create the background for the angels.

This is what my star looked like before I covered it up with glitter.
I used white bristol board paper. I have a Sizzix die cuts (Stars #2) that cut out 4 different sizes of stars: the smallest one, the 3rd largest one and 2 others in between those 2 sizes. The rest of the stars--there are 9 stars in total--I cut them out by hand using a ruler and a craft knife. I made them in 1/8-inch increments until I have the star big enough for Tilda to sit on.
(Doesn't she look like she's hanging on for her dear life to that star? LOL. Not too worry--if she falls, she's got wings!!)


I have tried to do the same thing with the crescent moon--I didn't do as good a job here though...LOL.

I have used the Spellbinders Nestabilities circle die cuts for the moon. I started out with cutting out whole circles. I used the largest size circle die cut that I have for the first one, and then going smaller after that. There are 7 circles in total. Their diameters are in 1/8-inch increments, so I had to cut some of the circles out by hand--no Nesties for those sizes.

To make this into a crescent moon--so Tilda have something to sit on--I used a smaller circle die cut for the hole/opening in each of the 7 circles. I used the same size on each and made sure that at one point, the edge of the smaller circle met the edge of the large circle. When I gluing the circles together one by one, I lined them up by this hole/opening.

I used lots of glitter on this card. I've added them to the moon, the big star, the angels' wings, the star at the end of Tilda's wand and her halo.

I am using this card as my entry into the following challenges:

Simon Says Stamp! - Christmas, but no red and green.
Flutterby Wednesday Challenge 134 - Anything goes.
Just Magnolia Week 85 - A Christmas card.
ABC DT Challenge - Non-traditional holiday colours.
Bunny Zoe's Craft Challenge 7 - Sparkle and Shine.
Creative Inspirations Challenge 49 - Anything goes Christmas.
Stamp With Fun Challenge #89 - Christmas.
Cupcake Craft Challenge 121 - Non-traditional Christmas (colours).
Challenge Up Your Life Challenge 33 - Advent/Christmas.


I hope you will join us in our Challenge. Diana is generously offering a $25 gift certificate from her store Magnolia-licious as the prize. And please check out the fabulous cards and projects that the other DT ladies had created for the challenge. The links to their personal blogs are on my side bar.


Are you finished with you Christmas cards yet for this season? I am NOT. Even if I am though, I will probably will still be making them into the New Year. While I am in this Christmasy/holiday mood, what better time than now to start on next year's list...LOL...when I have all these ideas and inspirations around me. And actually I do like to work on them all year long.
I know your time is precious especially in this busy time of year, so thanks much for dropping by. I appreciate the visit. Have a wonderful week. Let's hope we can find time to relax a bit and get recharged before tackling the next task on our to-do list...LOL.


Stamps: Starlight Tilda, Angel Tilda and Sitting Angel Tilda--all 3 from Magnolia's A Merry Little Christmas Collection 2010, Mary Engelbrett clear stamps "The Magic of Christmas", the other sentiment is computer-generated.

Tools: Spellbinders Nestabilities Standard Circles Large and Small, Sizzix Stars #2 die cuts, Sizzix embossing folder Rays, Cuttlebug embossing border Measure by Measure, Big Shot Machine.

Misc.: Martha Stewart Crystal Fine Glitter, Glitter Ritz Micro Fine Glitter light gold.

No comments:

Post a Comment