Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Quick Ornament Project and a Little Tree Tweaking~


Some of you may remember the post where I created these silhouettes of my kiddos. Well, I've been enamoured of silhouettes ever since I started seeing them all over blogland. I remember that my mother had silhouettes of all of us kids on her wall while I was growing up, and I guess they just make me nostalgic.

Anyhoo, I decided that they'd make great ornaments for my tree this year. I just used the same technique as I did before. I took pictures of all four kiddos facing to the side (it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be considering I have two kiddos that are three and under). Then I printed their photos out and simply outlined them with a black Sharpie and colored them in. (This was easier in my book than tracing them onto black paper, but that's what most people do I think). Then I cut them out and Mod Podged them onto these little wooden disks I found at Michael's and painted with some craft paint. I wanted a black border around the edges but didn't trust myself to paint it, so I colored that with a Sharpie too. Then I hot glued on some pretty black satin ribbon for the hangers and wrote the name of each kiddo and the year on the back of their ornament. I figure I can do it again next year, and the year after that, and the year after that....






I made a couple of extra sets for gifts. Shhhhh.
Edited to add: I was just reminded in my comments that it was Kimba who made the first ornaments I saw online (of course, Cristin made some last year as well!) And I love giving credit where credit is due!

And finally, after all my virtuous speaking on letting the kids do the tree decorating, I came back and tweaked a little more. I added in this upholstery webbing as a garland. Isn't it fab? I can't get enough of this stuff. It really gives the tree a little extra zip!




Have a great Wednesday~

No comments:

Post a Comment