Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Decorating for the kiddos...part 2

As promised, here are some highlights of my boys' room.


I love this view of the boys' room. I painted that big horizontal white stripe all around the entire room, and I adore the way it turned out! It gives the room such punch and creates the illusion of width in a fairly long, narrow room! The pretty old dresser was one that The Hubby helped his Grandmother refinish, so we inherited it from her when she passed away. I just love using family heirlooms in my house.
The beds turned out great too. I went back and forth trying to figure out what to do, and then I ran across an upholstered headboard with a monogram in a magazine,and thought "AHA!" I actually made these myself with plywood, batting, $3.99 linen from Joann's and white felt for the monogram. I used my trusty staple gun to upholster the plywood then added the monogram using this great stuff called fabritac. Works like a glue gun without the heat...hooray! No more burned fingers!



Here's a closeup of Mr. One's bed. I added the denim pillow for a little contrast. The airplane pillows are made from the crib bumper that used to be in Mr. Three's crib. Now that he can use it to propel himself out of the crib, I thought it best to get rid of it. But it was so cute I had to do something else with it...TA DA! Pillows. Oh, and although it isn't obvious in the photos, I was going for a sort of menswear look, so both the brown throw pillows and the cream blankets have herringbone weaves reminiscent of men's suiting fabrics.



A closeup of the barn star on top of the dresser. I love me a barn star.
I covered the lampshade to match the denim pillows and window treatments, but then I decided it needed a little color so I added another little star. Just the trick.





I adore these vintage-style balloon hooks. Don't they look nostalgic? And I love to use typography...both letters and numbers as decoration.



The boys' closet door always bumped into the bedroom door, and it drove me crazy. The boys have a large walk-in closet that they love to hide in. I decided to turn it into a little reading area (you can see the desk inside.) So to give them easy access, I added this cute curtain. I used upholstery tacks to fasten it right to the door moulding. I sewed the brown velvet to the bottom, but then used fabritac to attach the ribbon and hide the ugly seam. It turned out great!
I also wanted to share this cute basket I found at Christmas Tree Shop. It's the perfect color for the room and a great place to stash all their books. You can also see part of the crib skirt in this picture. I used some of the same denim and velvet to make a skirt so it would match the curtain on the door and blend with the older boys' beds.
My love of typography also shows itself with this great little towel corner behind the boys' door. I picked up some house numbers at the local big box home improvement store and used them to number each hook so the boys always know which towel is theirs! You can read about this project here.


This chair was a curbside find. I saved it with this great slipcover made from a painter's dropcloth! You can read about it here. It makes a fabulous chair to snuggle in while we read stories! The little table is another heirloom from the Hubby's grandmother. Originally destined for our Master Bedroom, it looks even cuter here in the boys' room. You can read about how I saved it here.


Finally, I just thought I'd show you this cute framed piece I found at Target. It gives that feeling of vintage nostalgia again. Isn't it fun?

I hope you enjoyed this little tour!

No comments:

Post a Comment