Tuesday, August 19, 2008

1, 2, 3 posts for back-to-school week

So today's post is on bulletin boards. Yea!!! I can hear the resounding cheer across the blogosphere! (Hey that rhymed...I really didn't mean to make a poem.) I love having places to put photos, papers etc. and so do my kiddos.


In the boys room, I thought it would be fun to make one of those modular bulletin board walls with each board upholstered in a different fabric, but there isn't enough wall space. Since I really wanted to tie in the brown velvet and denim that I have used throughout the room, I decided to make this "patchwork" board. I was going to do it the "right" way and sew the pieces together, but then I remembered FABRITAC! I glued them! Then I pulled out my handy staple gun and stapled the fabric to the wood frame of the bulletin board. But it was missing something (that, and the glued seams didn't look quite right to me) so I added upholstery tacks and ribbon. That was the finishing touch it needed. Not bad for about 15 minutes of time!!

I made this board quite a while ago when One and the Princess shared a room. I just hot glued the green check fabric over an existing bulletin board. But when we moved to our previous house, the Princess got her own room and I used the green check as an accent so I had to pretty-up the board! I love the look of ribbon boards so I just pulled out some pink grosgrain and tacked it on. I've toyed with the idea of gluing flowers onto the tacks...maybe someday.

This is my finger. When I was trimming the fabric off the back of the boys' bulletin board, I trimmed my pinky finger! Yes, those are the Princess' Barbie bandaids! I could tell you that I used them because they were the only bandaids I could find in the house. It's not true, but I could tell you that. One of my little quirks is the fact that I like using my kiddos' bandaids when I get a "booboo". They make me take myself less seriously (especially Two's Spongebob bandaids!) Why do I tell you all of this? Because I never realized how hard it is to type with a bandaid on your pinky finger! This post has taken me forever! ;)
Happy Crafting~

No comments:

Post a Comment