Monday, August 4, 2008

Decorating for the Kiddos...part 1

Decorating children's rooms is one of my favorite things! It gives me the chance to be more fun...whimsical...you know...like a kid. When I did The Princess' bedroom I had a little too much fun. Here are some highlights.




With three brothers it is somewhat amazing that The Princess is such a girly-girl, but she is definitely all sugar and spice. She is also an aspiring ballerina. This little tutu is hers from her ballet recital last year, the pointe shoes are momma's and the shelf was built by my papa-bear! Oh yeah, those cute LOVE letters were on clearance at Pottery Barn Kids a couple of years ago. Can't pass up a good sale.

This little angel was a creation of mine. Made from an antique cutwork pillowcase I inherited from my mother, I dyed it the palest pink using boiling raspberries. I made the pattern for the doll's body from one The Hubby gave me a few Christmases (is that a word?) back. I looove chenille, so I added wings made out of chenille (with a little chipboard inside for stiffness) then embroidered on the face. Isn't she cute?


I borrowed this next idea from a decorating magazine I saw years ago. These are simply "Barbie" clothes framed in some cute shadowboxes from Michael's craft. The designer in the magazine used vintage doll clothes which was a super cute idea, but I liked the fact that I could be pickier about colors if I bought new clothes.


Every room needs a little place to read. Someday I'd love The Hubby to build a window seat here, but in the meantime, this cute little rocker does the trick. I covered the lampshade in fabric to match the pillows.

What little girl's room would be complete without just a little bling. Both the lamp and the "vintage" Shabby Chic alarm clock came from Target. So sweet.

Hope you enjoyed your little tour of The Princess' castle...come back for a tour of the boy's room.




No comments:

Post a Comment