Tuesday, September 27, 2011

How a non builder learns to build


I'm not a pro builder. So when I vision something in my head, especially out of pallet wood, I'm often stumped on how to go about it.


First understanding the framework of a given build is key. But it has to work with your finished vision as well. You want the frame to be there, but not take over the design, unless it's part of the design.

But that's only part of it. Sturdy, fun to look at, affordable, and above all, fully functional are all parts of a good build.

I generally build out of necessity as I don't own 20 acres and 5 homes to furnish. So need comes first. But not always.



Desire plays a big part in my builds as well. I already had a patio set however it wasn't fully functional to our current needs. So I built one that was.

Do you have any idea how it makes me feel to this day to look at something I conjured up in my head, sitting on my patio? From idea, to finished product...

So many of you commend me on my building skills. Not two years ago I had barely held a tool in my hand. And now it's second nature to HAVE a tool in my hand. How did that happen?!

I'll tell ya how that happened.

I've always had vision, however lacked the skill to pull it off. It hurts to be inside my head. I see so much I have no idea how to do. I'm a Picker Sister with a twist. The deal with me is, I want to do the build myself, not have someone do it for me.

But everyone has to start somewhere. Not everyone has a husband handy with tools. Or tools. Or even a husband. :)



How I did it:



I started with minimal tools and no skill on how to use them. 


I borrowed tools.


I sought out advice - friends, google, books.


I threw out my hindering pride and set myself up in a position to learn how to use tools for real. This took guts!


I started to purchase my own tools as I could afford them. And I knew what to get because of the ones I borrowed.


I studied framework on finished pieces.


I started to experiment.


I failed LOTS.


I learnt from the mistakes and did it again. And again.


I started to succeed.


I now build furniture. And other stuff.




I put an I in front of each of these phrases because it was I that made all those choices to do something about my situation.

The greatest compliment a non builder can receive are others building what he/she just built. So when I see copycats crop up after one of my builds, it THRILLS me to no end.



This one just transpired. Laura sanded while she commissioned her willing husband to build this pallet sofa. He even sewed the cushions. Just... wow.



Maggie was in an inspiration slump so she forced herself to get off the sofa... and built this with her hubby. From nothing to something. Bravo!

But they have more than the pallet sofas they've created. They have new found skills and most likely the aspiration to go for whatever else they desire to make or have. And that is the best score of all.

The more one experiments, makes mistakes and takes chances, the more they will grow in skill and confidence. Allow that desire in, then go after it with wild abandon.


Kick out negativity! It stunts your growth.

Have the guts to succeed.

Look forward! What do you want to do today?

Making mistakes is part of the hike up to your destination. Allow it.

"Be today who you wish to be tomorrow." ~ Dan S.



I believe in you. Do you?

No comments:

Post a Comment