Monday, August 15, 2011

Simple Shelves

At the beginning of the year I had a grand plan of carving out a little office in this corner of the large bonus room. It included constructing a couple walls, extending wiring, a door and window. But when quotes were showing up in my inbox with price tags hovering around $10,000 I decided a plan B was in order!

Now I'm simply creating a work area within the room, and bringing in storage and shelving will go a long way in creating an organized area to get some work done. With some basic supplies from Home Depot, MDF shelving lengths cut to size, brackets and toggle screws, simple shelves where installed above the filing cabinets.


I looked at "pre-made" shelving kits from Ikea, but none were the right length and I wanted the shelving to extend from side to side in the recessed area. The MDF shelving was cut to size at Home Depot; luckily I measured right and the man at the store cut right! They fit just perfectly.


I made sure to pick up some heavy duty threaded drywall toggle screws, nothing disrupts organization like a shelf tumbling down with all that is on them following. I'm looking at a lot of books these days and the shelves will have to hold them.




Remembering these posters ordered last year....


...some inexpensive frames picked up at Ikea make them look great!




The last project for this nook is to find a countertop to place on the filing cabinets, creating a good surface for the printer and such to sit on. I saw this option at Ikea...much cheaper than the walnut I originally had my eye on. I am going to have to give this some thought!

No comments:

Post a Comment