Thursday, December 1, 2011

Make a burlap sacked Charlie Brown Christmas tree


I really wanted to make something burlap for this weekend's SNS theme, so this little $1.50 sandbag came in mighty handy!


How I made a live burlap sacked seedling

What you'll need: (or close)

burlap sandbag
a waterproof container and / or a container with some weight
rocks
masking tape
raffia or rope
evergreen branch


I wanted this seedling to stick around awhile so I had to come up a way to support the branch as well as it getting water. Rocks worked just fine. :)


I chose a wonky branch on purpose. Charlie Brown or Whoville? Take your pick!


The opening was taped crosswise  to help hold the trunk in place.


The works was plunked into something with more substantial weight. I wasn't sure the clay pot was waterproof so that's why I didn't take a chance.


Slip the burlap sandbag on, and create a sloppy rolled cuff.


Stuff the bag with a bit of newspaper,



then tie the rope below the cuff.



Add some spanish moss and an apple for a bit of color, and you're 'nearly' done. :)


Fake snow to the rescue! This made an enormous difference. I appear to be on a big snow kick this season and this step softens all the hues beautifully.


A little fake plastic snow with some fresh cranberries were added to the sill.
Also spraying the lower half of the window offered a glow like setting.


The green branches were hit heavily but unevenly so the snow had a chance to thicken up.
One oversized pinecone was added for an extra dash of quirk.


And there's my quirky slouchy little burlap sacked seedling, totally natural and ready for Christmas. For FREE!

The snow served a very important 2nd reason by the way.
I didn't want anyone snacking on my display. :)

SNS's theme Friday is burlap / rustic / natural Christmas decorating. 
I challenge you to swing all three in one post!



And winner of The Pleated Poppy's $60 shopping spree is
Michelle from This Crazy Life!
Congrats, girl! I'll have Lindsay email you so you can swap info. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment