Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Christmas mantel decorating ... with snow


Most of us are dreaming of a white Christmas.

But when you live in balmy BC Canada, it's quite by chance that snow actually materializes. So here's how I made my own winter wonderland on this year's Christmas mantel.


The easiest way to achieve snow covered evergreens is the snow spray you use for window stencils.

I sprayed it on thick and uneven, so it had a chance to build up in clumps, as if the wind blew it around.


The plastic shredded snow offers realistic thickness. 

And the amazing haze to the right is glass angel hair,  extremely difficult to find nowadays. 

I generally find my stash at thrift stores.


Some trial and error was practiced with flour, baking soda and baking powder.

And here's the result.


After I had the greens positioned, I placed newspaper behind the branches and sprayed.


  I had no intention of using the spray at first. 

I gave it a go after I found the fireplace too dark for my liking.






The floor is where I added a recipe of plastic snow, flour and baking powder.

After sprinkling the light powders, I ran the vacuum cleaner attachment JUST over the surface, picking up only the very fine dust, which left more definition on the floor. The plastic snow was added last for bulk.



flour


plastic snow


Let it snow indeed!


Update: the greens have officially dried to a crisp. I expected to take it apart when that transpired, however the snow has hidden the dried appearance beautifully! The lights are now off for the duration and the display is staying up!





(last year's snowy footprints)


The snow on the floor was just for the photos hoot and didn't stay. But I'll put it back for Christmas morning, complete with baking soda Santa footprints. :) (sprinkle soda around perimeter of boot) 


The pets were not attracted to it. No issues.
Complete Christmas 2011 reveal is HERE.

All your amazing comments on the Holiday House Walk completely overwhelmed me! 
Thank-you! My inbox feels VERY loved. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment