Thursday, July 28, 2011

Yes. You DO have what it takes.


I often watch others and wonder what's wrong with me. 

Ever do this? You see someone achieve something and wonder why it comes so hard for you yourself?

Dig a little deeper. Dreams aren't built in a day. 

Skills are needed to build your confidence. From there you start setting realistic goals and maybe some dreamy ones too. Then each day take small purposeful steps towards your goals. 

It's a little overwhelming, isn't it? But it's totally obtainable for anyone. Including me.



Got the skills? 

So do you have what it takes? And for the record, there are no NO answers allowed here.

I've always liked to tinker around with junk, but I also like to write and take pictures. So when I started my blog, I did 'ok'.  My early blog posts and photos left a lot to be desired. But I looked around me and saw what was possible. I rolled up my sleeves,  and started studying and asking questions. I went online many late nights self educating. I learned the basics of building online and in real life and working with tools. Today, building, writing and photography have become passions. And all three skills are incredibly important on delivering a good DIY story or magazine shoot. 

Admit you have what it takes. Even if you don't know how to do something. Then go figure it out.



What's right for you?

I use to watch others travel and marvel at their extreme luck. I've since wised up  and now smile at their achievements. Anyone can hop on a plane and go somewhere. You just have to either earn the privilege through your work or pay and go yourself.

But there's another factor in this part. Perhaps I'm not on that plane because it isn't right for ME.

Everyone's circumstances are different. Chances are, if  you aren't achieving what you thought you wanted, it's because perhaps that isn't the right path for you. You see, I don't travel against the grain for long. If something doesn't work out, it's ok. I tried. Plan B officially goes into effect.

There's a reason and a season for everything. So be patient and keep trying new things. That's the best way to figure out what you were meant to do.



Take purposeful steps.

I tend to get overwhelmed easily. I have my income work, my passion work, my home to run, my son to raise, you get the idea. Some days, it's all I can do to get the bare minimum done, never mind meet over achievement status! So some days it's easier to stare at a computer screen rather than be truly productive.

But what I've been doing lately is writing down my daily goals, and some longer term ones too.  For if you achieve those, your ultimate goals are just around the corner. No one has acres of time but we all have the same 24 hours. It's what you DO with those 24 hours that counts.

Here's a little test. While you carry on with your day, stop yourself with each task and ask, "Is this task or purchase taking me towards my goals?"

Make each thing you do have a purpose and you'll soon be wondering how on earth you got so smart. :)



So, is this blog entry taking me where I ultimately desire to go?

YES. I wrote this post for me.  Because I needed it.

I stall a million times a day. I don't know why. Ok, I sort of do. And it's not like I don't get encouraged by others. But a friend had some fresh new wise words for me just the other day. Her 2 cents;

"Just keep taking purposeful steps towards your goal 
and you'll be ok."

That advice was worth a million in my book. And I took it to heart from that day forward.

I've written my list. And everything I do today has a goal in mind for my son, myself and our future. And the power list may even include sitting in front of the tube and laughing at a funny movie from time to time. :)

Enjoy. Learn. And above all, do.






I've shared two sneak peeks over at FJI Facebook on what I've been working on. And they are both VERY one of a kind projects I've never done before. You don't know unless you try. :)

So... what are your plans for today? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment