Friday, May 9, 2008

Chic Sink

When we moved into our home, the laundry room housed a big industrial cast-iron sink on a metal stand. Now I know that many women would be thrilled to have a big ol' sink in their laundry room, and honestly, I can appreciate the industrial look, but this thing was hideous!!! It would be great out in a garage for washing automotive parts and greasy hands (we actually saved it with that in mind) but, I wanted my laundry room to look nice, not like an auto shop. I've been known to make unpleasant looking things look good, but even if I put a gorgeous skirt on this sink to hide the metal legs, it would still look like a really ugly cross-dresser. So there was only one alternative---Remove and Replace!
We found a nice, little but deep, stainless steel sink still in it's original cabinet at the thrift store. There was only one problem. When we placed the cabinet next to the tall washer and dryer it looked like a shrimp in a sea of whales. So I began to dream up a design. I was inspired by the look of old, thick butcher block tables. We had the leftover table top from this project, so we only needed to buy a small amount of wood. I had two used stair newel posts, in my supply of "stuff", that we turned upside-down for the front legs. We added a decorative piece to the front. I painted, glazed, and polyed. And now we have a sink that's original, pretty (can you call a sink pretty?) and it holds it's own next to the tall washer and dryer.

No comments:

Post a Comment