Monday, May 12, 2008

A Case of Stairs

Okay, so tell me, who puts light colored carpet on stairs?!?! The gentleman who we bought our house from, that's who (should I have used "whom"?).
Yes, we had brand new pinkish-taupe carpet on stairs that would be constantly used by our five children and all of their friends. What do you do? Well, first I must tell you that I do not require my family or anyone else in our home to remove their shoes upon entering. You can if that's what makes you comfortable, but shoeless feet is not the requirement, comfort is. As I said in an earlier post, there is nothing in my home more valuable than the people within. After a few years of wear and tear on a carpet that wasn't all that pretty in the first place I decided it needed a little R&R. You know it! Removing and Replacing! Of course the cheapest solution was paint, but I couldn't have just plain old painted stairs when with just a little effort they could be unique and interesting. I incorporated my love of typography, and this is what I came up with:
(the runner is tan, not pinkish like it appears in the photo)
As usual, my family made fun of my idea, but I've learned to not pay attention to them anymore. They asked me why the stairs needed numbers. I answered that if they fell up the stairs they would know which stair to blame (you have to have a quick wit in a family of critics). I did make sure to start the numbers with 0, so there wouldn't be the unlucky #13. I think my children have actually come to enjoy their travels up the stairs, but they would never, ever admit to it. The stairs have been like this for almost two years now, and occasionally I'll hear a loud thud followed by, "That dumb number four stair!" Yes, our stairs are not just form and function, they're entertainment too.

No comments:

Post a Comment