Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Reindeer Wall Art~

It's no secret that I'm a bit of a silhouette fanatic.  I think I may have talked about it a bit here and there on the old blog. ;-)  So given that it's the jolliest season of the year, I thought it would be fun to create a reindeer silhouette.  And due to the popularity of deer heads in decor right now, the fact that a reindeer and a deer look virtually identical, means that this little bit of holiday goodness can easily translate to year-round decor.

My holiday palette this year is basically silver, white, green and black.  So the colors I chose for my reindeer might not look holiday-ish to you...but that's all the better if you want to use it year round...and keep in mind that it can be translated to any colors you wish.


To make my reindeer art you will need:

  • an unpainted, stretched canvas (available at virtually any craft store)
  • paint and paintbrush
  • adhesive vinyl in a the color of your choice. 
  • scissors

I basically followed the same method as I did to create the silhouettes of my kiddos with a couple of minor tweaks.


First of all, I didn't have any photographs of a reindeer head to go from, so I found a picture that I liked online and freehanded the silhouette onto a piece of paper. 

I realize that the idea of freehanding a silhouette might be nervewracking to a lot of people...so for those of you who feel this way, try following the instructions from my kiddo silhouette post.

After I got the silhouette looking the way I wanted it to look, I cut it out.  Then simply traced it on the backing of my adhesive vinyl and cut it out again.


I had previously painted my canvas with a graphic design...and you could do this too...or simply paint it a solid color. (which, in retrospect, would probably work better with the silhouette - live and learn, right?)

Then just stick that cute reindeer right on there.  That's it.

Of course, you could also do what I did with my kiddos silhoeuttes and purchase an empty frame...then stick the silhouette onto the glass. 

That way you can switch out the backing paper to match  your whims.  A Christmas print during the holidays...a different pattern in the spring.  Etc.  As a matter of fact, I might do this myself. :-)

Happy Crafting~

No comments:

Post a Comment