Monday, January 11, 2010

After-Christmas Decorating~

First, I wanted to thank you all, my dear readers, for your many fabulous ideas regarding my door-less closet dilemma. You are a clever bunch! But then, I always knew my readers are the best! I can't wait to share with you what I end up doing.

Now on to the subject at hand...

I received an email from one of my readers recently that said, "I was hoping you could post some ideas to inspire 'after Christmas/undecorated' ideas. My house feels so necked! I want to put a little something on my fireplace without it looking 'Oh, she forgot to take down some of her Christmas decorations.' "

So I have been mulling this over and have collected a few ideas to share.

After all the hoopla of the holidays come down, our houses do tend to look bare. It takes a bit for things to feel normal again. Take this chance to shake things up some.

If you are of the camp that believes you should warm up your house for winter, now is the time to add in some darker hued accessories. Add some colorful accent pillows. Pull out those throws. Put a basket of logs by the fireplace. One idea I really like is to add curtains. Nothing cozies up a place like fabric! I LOVE FABRIC!
Check out the fabulous photo below from Better Homes and Gardens. This wall of curtains certainly cozies up the room, and adds a unique headboard at the same time.



Photo from Better Homes and Gardens


Something else that livens up your space in the winter is to add plants. After the greenery of Christmas is removed, try adding other living plants. A personal favorite of mine at this time of year are Paperwhites. Beautiful, vibrant, and a different shade of green!

Photo from Better Homes and Gardens

I personally like the idea of using the color white in my home in the winter! This is an easy post-holiday idea because with just a little tweaking, it can look less Christmas and more January. Check out the vignette below. Just remove the evergreen sprigs and you have a winter vignette that is pretty and chic.


Photo from Better Homes and Gardens


Finally, some Holiday decorations really can do double duty. Remember my well-read wreath ?The ribbon is what made it look holiday-ish. Simply switch it out for a less season-specific pattern, and this wreath is good-to-go all year long! (In fact, wait 'til you see where I put this pretty wreath in our new nest!)

Now go warm up your post-holiday house!

Have a great day~
xoxo Wendy

No comments:

Post a Comment